Bucharest National Opera
Bucharest National Opera House – an institution that has a history of around 140 years – was lawfully founded in 1877; then, in 1885, it received the status of private company and became a state theater in 1921, although only received a new performance venue around 1950, after having been functioning in various locations of the Capital city for the time being. The current building of the Opera House – designed by architect Octav Doicescu and inaugurated by the Opera’s own company in 1954 – benefits from multiple performance halls, among which: the Main Hall, the Main Foyer and the Concert-Museum Foyer.
The Main Hall is an Italian type venue and has a capacity of 952 people (stall, two rows of boxes and balcony). The marble foyers, designed with a medley of baroque and classical elements, can host exhibitions and different events. Moreover, during performance breaks, spectators can enjoy their time in the Café situated on the first floor foyer or in the various relaxation areas throughout the Opera House.
Starting with 2013, Bucharest National Opera House is undergoing a vast renovation process by the means of which the Main Hall’s acoustics is enhanced and the building is regaining its architectural and chromatic beauty.
BD. MIHAIL KOGĂLNICEANU 70-72